The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free.
What goes through your head when you think about summertime fun and activities for your kids? Do you envision t-ball in the back yard, riding bikes around the neighborhood, maybe even flying kites? All outdoor stuff, right? Sure, we do all of those things, but the reality is that we live in Florida and the weather can be completely unpredictable. A bright and beautiful sunny day can turn into tsunami-like weather real quick, leaving kids hopped up with summer energy within the confines of your walls. This is a scary thing for a lot of parents, including for myself! It’s time to pull out my list of rainy day activities that don’t include jumping in puddles, since Florida IS the lightning capital of the United States!
5 Rainy Day Activities that Keep Kids Busy
- Have a Scavenger Hunt: Create a game of I Spy by looking out the windows for different objects such as trees, flowers, even tiny little rocks. Have a checklist and let the kids go down the list until they find each item.
- Arts and Crafts: Rainy days are a great time to pull out the big box of art and craft supplies you have been hoarding. Set aside some kid-friendly craft tools and let their creative juices flow. Create picture frames out of Popsicle sticks or hats out of toilet paper rolls. The possibilities are endless.
- Write Letters to Family: Pull out the construction paper and markers and get your kids writing. There is nothing better than a handmade letter to a grandparent or great-grandparent. They can even make and decorate their own envelopes.
- Whip Up Cookies: Break out your inner chef along with the cookie cutters and get the kids in the kitchen. You probably already have the ingredients on hand to whip up sugar cookies. Even if they don’t turn out perfect, it will keep the kids busy and they might even learn something!
- Break out a New STEM Toy: Summertime is a great time to break out educational toys. Tech products and gadgets that keep kids engaged will give them first-hand experience and influence how your child learns, builds, and grows. It will also help to keep their minds sharp while they are out of school.
STEM toys are one of my favorite ways to keep my kids busy. Kids think they are hip and cool without realizing they are actually learning something. One great STEM toy my kids have tried this summer is the Hexbug VEX Robotic Arm.
It is available at Best Buy right now for $49.99, and has won a 2016 Toy of the Year Award. What is awesome about this piece of tech gear is that it does not require batteries. Kids 8 and up can build a real robotic arm crane that swivels 360 degrees, allowing it to actually picks up objects! The robot is powered by gears and levels, which provides a great lesson on science principles. There are also two alternate builds, a helicopter and scorpion, so your child is sure to stay busy with these rainy day activities!